In the early childhood and primary years, learning at Akshar Arbol International School is based on the International Baccalaureate (IB)’s inquiry-based approach. This approach focuses on the development of the child as an inquirer, both within and outside the classroom. Students learn in an environment that nurtures their natural curiosity. This approach to education helps them to inquire and explore.
All learning happens through units of inquiry. Each unit is based on a transdisciplinary theme of global significance. The curriculum is enriched by performing / visual arts, music, and physical education. Children learn ‘subjects’ through their understanding of underlying concepts and how they are interconnected. Technology is integral to the learning process. Concept linked with the appropriate knowledge and skills allow a student to learn and grow in the International Baccalaureate’s Primary Years Program (IB PYP).
Students in the PYP at Akshar Arbol International School Chennai
- Learn in contexts that are Meaningful, Relevant and Engaging.
- Conduct research on issues of local and global significance.
- Develop positive attitudes towards learning and become lifelong learners.
- Initiate responsible action in the community / environment.
- Learn based on the philosophy of “Vishwam Gurur-mama” (The world is my Guru), helping them to emerge as leaders displaying the IB Learner Profile attributes.
Who is PYP for?
The International Baccalaureate’s PYP is open to any student aged 3 to 12 years.
Resources for PYP schools
IB provides a number of resources for IB Curriculum Schools in Chennai and all over the world, from professional development opportunities to the organization’s online curriculum centre (OCC) for its educators.